[nabs-l] online speech-language pathology program

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 03:38:26 UTC 2013

Hello,
I just completed my studies as an undergraduate with a degree in
communication and French.  However, in a couple years, I am
looking to go back to school for speech therapy.  I am looking at
a program at the University of Akron in Akron, Ohio which is
online.  I am completely blind so I use JAWS and a braille note
to accomplish school work.  I am proficient with JAWS so that is
not an issue.  The concern I have is that since the program is
online, I won't be able to interact with professors in the same
way.  I am referring particularly to the anatomy portions of the
program.  I took an anatomy class before but it was at my college
in a classroom.  Since I will not have access to diagrams and
images, how would I effectively the visual concepts? Would I need
a sighted assistant who can describe any visuals to me? Or could
I ask the university to assign me a personal assistant who could
help me with the coursework? Would I be better off completing my
degree on campus as opposed to online? The advantages to the
online program are that I can continue working while completing
my degree as well as being able to complete my alinicals in my
home city.  Any speech therapy majors out there, please shed some
light on this topic, I want to make sure I am making an informed
decision and that my tuition money is being well spent.  Either
way, what methods did you find helpful when you were completing
your courses? I am a very physical person so I would actually
need to be shown exactly where the different speech organs were
located.
Thanks in advance,
Kelsey Nicolay