[nabs-l] the use of sighted guide technique

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 05:00:33 UTC 2013

I use sighted guide fairly often with close family, friends etc. As
Antonio says, it is often more graceful and allows us to converse
without having to talk a lot about directions.
I generally don't use sighted guide with people I have just met. I
want them to get an impression of me as an independent traveler first
before we start doing sighted guide and I don't want to burden them by
asking to hold their arm. When my fiancee and I started dating, I
intentionally did not tell him about sighted guide until the fourth
date because I wanted to be sure he didn't think of me as the girl who
always needed to hang on him. I actually bumped into him once on our
first date which was quite hilarious! It may have been a little
rebelliously independent but I think the timing was very good and when
I did actually inform him about sighted guide I knew he already
thought I was a decent traveler. We use sighted guide now but he also
knows that I can get around fine just walking beside him or on my own.
However, when I don't do sighted guide, I still listen to where the
person is going and actively follow them. I can avoid most obstacles
by listening to where they are going. If I'm walking in a group, I try
to walk at the front or to the side so I don't trip or hit people with
my cane. I have colleagues who still don't do sighted guide with me
just because I never got around to suggesting it. We walk a little
slower than we would if we used sighted guide, but it is not a big
deal.
When I was growing up I used to go sighted guide almost exclusively. I
still remember one time in college when, after being around the NFB
for a few years, I decided not to use sighted guide on a group outing.
We were doing "trick-or-canning" which is like trick-or-treating on
Halloween, except we collected canned goods for food banks instead of
candy. I was carrying a bag of canned goods and because I chose not to
use sighted guide, my hand was free to hold my own bag. If I'd done
sighted guide I would have had to ask my guide to hang on to my cans
for me because I always carry my cane whether or not I am also using
sighted guide. It felt incredibly liberating to carry my own stuff and
to freely choose whether or not I  wanted to hold someone's arm.

The bottom line is it is really about choice and whichever method
gives you and your partner the most freedom and convenience.

Best,
Arielle