[nabs-l] Is providing tutors or aids under the ADA for publiccolleges?

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 7 07:17:47 UTC 2013

Brandon,
As to the first question, the ADA is a tricky animal. You'd need to ask a
lawyer or disability advocate.
For the second about the discrepancy in services, its simple.
Some colleges provide more support than others. Just because your last
school provided aids, which I assume were notetakers, for you does not mean
all schools will. You shouldn't assume that. All schools are different. As
for them telling you the ADA does not require aides, that is not true if the
aide gives you equalivelant information.

I'd suggest working with your professor in office hours or make appointments
with him or her to go over material. Of course, they cannot repeat
everything, but just some odds and ends and specific questions. I found it
very helpful to use professor's office hours in school. I cannot imagine
taking a language in college as its heavily visual. I did not do this, but I
assume you have to. They teach by pointing to pictures and the foreign
language word is under it. I took spanish in high school and even with
support from my vision teacher it was hard; I had the text and handouts in
braille, and in college you don't get this. For the various pictures, my
vision teacher would describe them in english braille so I knew what they
were. My spanish teachers rarely translated items.
Oh, and I know about the spelling too fast thing! They spelled too fast in
class for me as well! I can hardly copy spellings in english, let alone
another language.

If seeing your professor isn't enough, get a tutor. All students need tutors
if they struggle, so a tutor is not a blindness thing.
The ADA does not talk about tutors. Aides, however, can be an accomodation.
You should check if your school offers free tutoring. My school did, but it
was limited; like one session per week, but it was something. All student
tutors had to have taken the subject they tutored in and gotten a high
grade. You might also be able to hire a language student, meaning someone in
that major as well.
There are always outside firms, but they are very expensive.

I believe you quoted the right passages of the law; it sounds right. But I'm
not a lawyer.
I think you should approach your disability office explaining why you need
an aid and see if they can work something out; if they say no, go up the
chain. But this may take a while to work out. Meanwhile,
try and get the info you need. I'm not sure what this is other than
spellings of words. Could you record class to get some of this? Could you
ask another student or two for their notes?
Maybe the professor could give you a copy of vocabulary and other key stuff
she / he writes on the board.
Also, the professor could describe the pictures in english before class,
perhaps.

I definitely recall a lot of pictures and pointing to things in class. I was
so easily
lost. I believe blind people can learn languages, but the way its taught is
way not, not suited to us.

A final thing is do not tell the disability office you need a tutor because
that's not their responsibility.
They deal with accomodations. What you need is an assistant to describe what
is in class and take notes; this person needs to know some of the language
to do this job.
Perhaps, your disability office is reacting this way because you use the
word tutor.
A tutor is different than accomodations. You need an accomodation in class.
You are on your own for the tutor thing.

If you have money of your own or use your families' money, you could hire
your own readers.
But I guess you are looking for an aid in class. Anyway, if you need  a
reader outside class, its great to go do it yourself.
This is a great option, IMO, because you have lots of control over the
reader then; like the quality of the reader, when and where you meet, and
length of sessions.
Oh, my state paid very low for readers and here students want high wages and
money quickly; the state is very slow in issuing checks, so I did not use
them. Keep in mind, students can go get campus jobs or go sell merchandise
and be paid minimum wage. I had to pay well to compete with these jobs that
were so abundantly around.

Its real difficult to draw a line between tutoring and reading sometimes.
But you have to stick to in class access to get accomodations. So leave the
tutors out of the disability discussion.
My readers seemed to want to help more than just read and I let them.
I found this out when working with some readers; in reading, they naturally
fell into the position of helping me; they would paraphrase or reread
unclear passages.
I found they  also stopped to add examples of their own and sometimes we
would have a quick side conversation.
Also, my readers would read charts and describe pictures.
So, they ended up helping me understand the material, not just strictly
reading.
I found that we both would learn the material through reading, so it just
made sense to sort of discuss it too.
For instance, in reading my intro to business text, they had examples of
management styles. We read that and came up with our own. In some psychology
texts, they had pages about stage theories, but the book gave you summary
tables of the major points.
So, my reader read through the table, but she had to understand it herself
to some extent to read it to me.

Anyway, what I'm saying is if you hire your own readers, they can tutor you
too, but you probably want to hire separate people.
Even if your reader does sort of informally tutor you, as mine did
sometimes, it won't matter if you hire them.
However, it most definitely will matter if the school hires you one.

something