[nabs-l] A droit Tablet

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 19:27:01 UTC 2013

Hi Bobbi,

Is it the Nexus 7?  I have that one and it works really well.  Here
are a few things I would suggest doing.

Go into the settings, go to accessibility, and choose the options that
work best for you.  Talkback, a screenreader similar to voiceover on
the Apple products, is a pretty good program to use if you require
spoken output.  You can adjust font size and other visual stuff too, I
believe.

As far as apps that are good for school, I think dropbox is the best
one because it gives you access to all your stuff no matter where you
are.  The email app that comes on the device is pretty good for that
stuff as well.  I don't have a free text editor/word processing app
that I like yet, but I know someone who is coding one and it looks
promising.  My guess is that you can get Microsoft Word from the
Google Play store.  It comes with a calendar, which is really good for
keeping track of a schedule because it is so accessible and gives you
the ability to color code different events, The calendar also syncs
with your Google account, so you can set up appointments on your
tablet and get reminders through your email client.  There is also
voice search which goes directly to Google, and a calculator.  You can
download things like Blio and apps from other reading companies like
BookShare and I believe Learning Ally too.  I'm going to experiment
and see if a google docs app will work on my tablet; in theory, if
it's a Google product that is built to support other Google products,
it should work but we'll see.

I hope this gets you started.  If I think of more helpful apps I will
send them on.  Enjoy your tablet and the rest of your Christmas!

On 12/25/13, Bobbi Pompey <pompey2010 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello and Happy Holidays!
>
> My dad surprised me with an Android tablet. I know nothing about the
> Androit. I'm low vision. What can I do as far as accessibility goes? And
> what apps work well for school related things (word processing, etc)?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Bobbi A. L. Pompey
> (336) 988-6375
> pompey2010 at yahoo.com