[nabs-l] ideas on how to accomplish daily living skills

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 01:09:31 UTC 2013

Hello,
This may seem a little off topic for this list, but I would like
to know your thoughts.  I like to wear nail polish, but I have
been told by my chosen beauty salon that there is no way someone
who is to otally blind can apply their own nail polish.  I get
manicures a lot, so I asked the person who does my nails whether
she thinks I could apply my own polish.  She pretty much said no.
I kind of think she's wrong, there has to be some way to do it.
What do you think? Can someone who is totally blind apply their
own nail polish and if so, how would you go about doing it?
Removing it can be done since you can feel the difference in
texture from the polish to the actual nail.  What about applying
makeup independently? I am in a choir that we have to get dressed
up for the concert which means wearing makeup.  My mom still does
it for me, but at some point, I'd like to be able to do my own
makeup.  I have a friend who is blind and she has been doing her
own makeup for years.  One of my friends from college was going
to give me a makeup lesson, but we never got around to it.
Finally, what about using nail cleappers? My dad cuts my nails
for me but he feels a little insecuoe about letting me handle the
clippers alone.  I know an nfb article covered this, but it
didn't really help.  I would be interested to hear your opinions
on how to accomplish these tasks.
Thanks,