[nabs-l] Extended Time

Ari Damoulakis aridamoulakis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 07:25:37 UTC 2013

Hi Arielle
This is a very interesting question. In the past I don't think I
needed as much extra time as I do now, because for a BA you could type
facts and think your answers like other people. With Law however I do
find that I need extra time more than sighted people, this could be
because I have not found a way to deal properly with my problem or it
just naturally takes longer. What I am meaning is this. When a sighted
person has their normal print paper with a complex case, what they are
taught to do in class is to underline and highlight the important
points, draw lines from a protagonist to matching points, they use
aids that are just not available to me. When I plan my answers, I have
to open another document and make notes, or have to rely on memory,
not being able to emphasise things on a paper or make lines etc. I
would never cope without extra time. Some other instances where extra
time is useful even if you are using braille is if you are trying to
write an exam in a language that doesn't have a speech synthesizer and
you totally have to rely on a single-line braille display to write and
check things which is a little slower.
I'm also interested in what you were saying about diagrams and the
problems. I don't have much experiences of diagrams, but I did some
geometry in high school, and I am probably a million times worse with
spatial things, geometry and maps than you are, as diagrams here are
possible, but they are very much a luxury. By the way my sense of
direction is also incredibly bad, would love some advice if there's
anything that can be done about that. I think to be honest that even
if you think you could improve your diagram abilities it is actually
very difficult. As far as I know a sighted person, the eye sort of can
capture the full image of a diagram in one go, and sort of processes
it better. I just find that when I'm trying to understand a diagram by
feeling it, it just feels like so much detail and interpretation that
is trying to going on there, I definitely think you need extra time
when trying to work with these. I'm sure its because I haven't been
exposed much to diagrams, but even if I get shown a diagram, I've
never seen it before I probably could never guess what it actually is.
I wonder if sighted people have that problem.
I'm also curious whether my university even uses the correct material
to draw diagrams. They use a thing called zyfuse oven, and I find the
diagrams from there really uncomfortable to feel and even more
difficult to interpret and use than if they are on paper.
For the most part I don't think one should worry too much about time
allowances on the job, because, if I'm correct you generally know ages
before what needs to be done and there's enough time, I don't think
one is under as much pressure as with an exam.
Ari