[nabs-l] GRE

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 23:59:10 UTC 2013

Hi Joy,
The GRE is not an online exam. It's usually taken in some sort of
testing center at the university you are currently attending or a
university near you. You can request accommodations like a Braille,
large print, audio or electronic test booklet, extra time and
accommodations for writing such as a  human scribe  and Braille
writing equipment. There is a whole formal process for requesting
accommodations and setting up an appointment to take the test.  Ruth
Loew (
rloew at ets.org
) can help you get that process started.
Every Ph.D. program is different as far as what minimum score they
would expect. You may be able to do a Google search to find out the
average scores for students who are accepted into Ph.D. programs in
English or whatever field you are planning to go into. My impression
is that admissions committees usually look at verbal and math scores.
Many people (blind and sighted alike) struggle with the math portion
of the GRE especially if it's been a while since you took algebra or
geometry. You may want to consider hiring a private math tutor or
taking a GRE prep class to help enhance your skills. ETS also has
accessible practice tests you could take in order to get a sense for
what the problems are like and to see what kind of score you would get
without any tutoring and what your personal strengths and weaknesses
are when attempting GRE problems.
Best of luck,
Arielle