[nabs-l] Paycheck question

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 00:49:50 UTC 2013

Hi,

I don't know exactly whether you are working just to have a job or
actually doing work study, but if you are doing the latter most
colleges will also have the option of having your check go directly
towards paying off your school bill.  A lot of my friends at school do
this.  It may seem like you're not getting any money, but in reality
it frees up the money you would have otherwise paid towards tuition
out of your own pocket, (and your parents will appreciate that you're
doing something to help cover the costs too).  That may also be
something to look into.

Whether it is work study or not, you may also be able to check online
what the checks will be.  For example, my college has a site which you
use to apply for campus jobs.  ON each job listing it has all the
information, including the hourly wage.  Depending on your schedule
and how much you can work per week you could always just do the quick
math yourself if a site with that information exists for your school.
Most schools have centers for student employment or something like
that, so if you're really interested you can try getting ahold of the
centers from a few of the schools you've applied to to ask for some
information as well.

Good luck in choosing your school!

On 2/27/13, Arielle Silverman <arielle71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alexa,
> These days you can usually sign up to have the money from your
> paycheck automatically deposited into your bank account. To do this,
> you will need to open a checking account if you don't yet have one,
> and then give your employer a blank check from the checkbook that you
> get from the bank. Usually on your first day of a new job, someone
> will ask you if you want to sign up for direct deposit. After you sign
> up for direct deposit, you can check your bank balance on payday using
> online and phone banking to find out how much money was added to your
> account. If for some reason your employer doesn't provide direct
> deposit, then you can ask someone in the HR department to tell you
> what is written on the check when you get it, or find out how much it
> is when you take it to the bank to be cashed or deposited into your
> account.
> Do you know yet where you will be attending college?
> Best,
> Arielle
>
> On 2/27/13, Alexa Schwichow <ajschwichow at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>     I am starting college in August, and I am planning on having a job.
>> For
>> any of you who had jobs during college, how did you know what your
>> paycheck
>> was? Did someone read it to you? Please help if you can.
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/arielle71%40gmail.com

Kaiti