[nabs-l] Martin Luther King Junior Day of service.

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 22:27:04 UTC 2013

Hi Arielle and others,
I experienced the attitudes you described many times when participating in service activities.  I was not always successful in overcoming them, but I was most successful  when I brought a friend with me.  That might not be the most satisfying answer, but having someone who knew me and my capabilities whom I could ask to help me assess the various jobs that needed to be done was a huge help.  Having a friend helped me orient myself quickly to new tasks so that on subsequent trips to the same locations I could work independently.  Community service is often done in groups anyway, so this wasn't a weird or inconvenient thing to do.

Other times I have volunteered by myself or found that even having a friend could not overcome these perceptions.  On one occasion, I showed up by myself to volunteer at the food pantry of my church and was immediately told to wait in line to receive my food.  They were slightly taken aback when I explained that I came to volunteer and then assigned me to a job with a "partner" who basically did everything for the two of us.  I made it a point to do as much as I could to impress that one volunteer that I worked with, demonstrating my competence so that the next time there would at least be one person there who knew I was capable of actually helping.

Changing perceptions can be awkward and take a long time.  Finding one ally can be key, whether you bring them with you or win over one of the other volunteers.  You could even try calling the project manager ahead of time and explaining that you are concerned that other volunteers might not think you will be able to contribute.  This is straight forward and diffuses the situation before it begins.  It creates an opportunity for you to talk about what kind of things you can do and ask about what kinds of things need to be done.

As with any other kind of misperception, projecting confidence in your own abilities goes a long way toward changing opinions.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Best,
Greg