[nabs-l] The technology in specialized notetakers

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-nabs-l at pcdesk.net
Sun Jul 14 01:17:32 UTC 2013

Antonio,
I agree with you that note takers should have more features and probably
that they
should be cheaper as well. The trouble as I understand it has to do with
economics.
Specifically, market size. Let me provide the analysis that "officially"
is used,
then at the end I'll provide a couple of my thoughts.
First, let's address new features. The reason the development of
technology is so
fast paced in the non-adaptive world is because it quite literally has
to be. There
are several companies, all of which are competing for business in a
particular field
(web sites, phones, laptops, etc.). There are also tons of consumers who
want to
purchase and/or use those products. They're going to purchase and/or use
what ever
has the most market appeal, of course. The companies, in consequence,
must continually
create new products and update existing ones to keep them relevant to
the community.
When looking at adaptive technology, note takers specifically, the same
situation
doesn't really hold. There are only a few products, and not a large
market of people
who want them. If you want to purchase a note taker, you only have the
option of
purchasing one of the two or three currently on the market. The
manufacturers, then,
only have to compete against one or two others for your business. This
problem is
further compounded by the fact that they probably don't have large teams
of software
developers to add new features and such.
As far as price, it's a similar problem. The cost of main stream
products drops because
as a product becomes better known in the market, more people purchase
it. As more
people purchase it, the cost per unit drops and the company lowers the
price in order
to bring in yet more people. This does not apply with technology which
is only designed
to work for the blind community. There is a fixed market size, which is
considerably
smaller than the main stream community. If the price is lowered to far
under those
conditions, you end up with a situation where it costs more to design
and build the
technology than you make selling it.
All of that being said, I think there is also the "this is always how
it's been"
factor. It's always been the case that adaptive technology has developed
slower,
and the technology costs over 10 times that of mainstream technology
with similar
functionality. There is a hesitancy to move from a slower development
cycle with
higher costs to one where development happens faster and you have to pay
more often,
but the costs are lower. I also think there's a factor I refer to as the
"agency"
factor. that is, the manufacturers feel that most of the time, this
technology is
purchased by voke rehab or some other agency. Therefore, the price is
not as big
a factor as it otherwise might be since the agency is likely to go ahead
and pay
it without too much protest. I'm not saying voke rehab doesn't protest,
but I am
saying that the manufacturers feel that eventually they will probably
just go ahead
and pay so they can set the prices how they like.
I'm not sure how much of each factor plays into it; I'd have to collect
market data
to figure that out and I'm a computer Scientist, not an economist.
However, these
are the factors which I believe cause and sustain the problem.
Joe