[nabs-l] Brief Professional Bio

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 20:35:02 UTC 2013

Although I will not be at convention, I am always up for mentoring people. I
always wanted a mentor growing up, someone in my field of interest who could
give me tips and introduce me to contacts. I'm not really into formal
mentoring programs that make you maintain monthly records of communications.
My time's too valuable to add more paperwork to my schedule, so if after
reading my brief bio you'd be interested in talking, look me up off-list.

I think it would be great if other young professionals could tell a little
bit about themselves in case you're in the position to be a good source for
someone younger. Heck, you could be a good resource to a fellow
professional. Most people these days switch jobs every few years. I'm 30 and
am into my third full-time occupation. The point is that networking never
ceases.

Anyway, after college I fulfilled a year of AmeriCorps in DC working with
human trafficking victims and refugees. After that I worked for two years
with an international youth development organization administering grants on
behalf of major corporations and government agencies. This was my job during
graduate school, and balancing graduate studies on top of a full-time job is
going to result in a lot of all-nighters. Don't do it unless you need to. My
next position was with a national consumer education organization where we
provided advocacy and assistance on everything from banking to wireless
communication. I was with them for three years, and last July I totally
switched careers. I'm now working in the federal government doing
intelligence work. That's my day job. In the evenings and on weekends I run
a small freelance copywriting business doing everything from marketing to
book ghostwriting.

So, if you have an interest in nonprofit development, the intelligence
community, or marketing, feel free to reach out. I can assure you I will not
have all the answers to your questions, but if I don't have the answers,
I'll pass you along to someone who may. And, if I don't respond right away
to your inquiry, it's nothing personal. My free time's limited, but I will
write back.

Joe