[nabs-l] College Dining Hall

Patrick Molloy ptrck.molloy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 02:04:58 UTC 2013

I think you have a couple of options here. First, you can try the
dining hall on your own if you feel you can do it. If that doesn't
work, then ask a friend for help. Third, ask the people working at
your dining hall for a hand if you go during a slower time. See what
you can do ahead of time to make your life easier: Check menus online
if possible and know generally what you want. Also, try and avoid
going at prime lunch/dinner times (12 noon and 6:00.) Often these
times draw the most crowds, thus making it very difficult to navigate,
whether blind or sighted. So, if you can eat at off hours, that will
make things easier. Finally, realize that what works for some people
may not work for you. If your college has a huge dining hall that's
difficult to get around, then there's no shame in getting help. You
may start out by having someone help you, but have them gradually back
off as you become more and more familiar with the layout and the
setup. Out of curiosity, do you have a certain school in mind? If so,
then you can start a dialog with the dining services people and see if
they can be of any help to you.
Patrick