[nabs-l] community choir question

Joshua Lester JLester8462 at pccua.edu
Tue Nov 12 03:56:58 UTC 2013

Hi, Kelsey!
As a chorale singer myself, (I've sung in school choirs all my life,) I can help you.
What you need to do is listen to classicly trained singers.
What part do you sing?
With vowel shapes, annunciation is very important!
Think auditoraly!
When you sing a Christmas favorite, (I'll use this for an example,) here's how you should sing it!
"Oh come, oh come Emmanuel."
"Emmanuel, should be sung this way!
E-Mon-U-El!
Anytime there's a short A, it's kind of like how the British talk!
Of, and words that sound like that are annunciated, like "OV."
"Israel, shouldn't be sung "Is-ri-el."
It's, "Is-Ray-El," (thanks to Sarah Alawami for telling me this!)
Listen to how Charlotte Church annunciates her words on the "Voice of an Angel," album.
Blessings, Joshua