[nabs-l] Stop Blaming the Economy

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 05:14:30 UTC 2013

Arielle,

A classy post as always. Points well taken.

Minh,

To borrow your words, there are many people who "work their asses off" and
still don't get the jobs or opportunities they wish they had. I was really
discouraged from pursuing law school when I saw sighted friends graduating
from top law schools with no job prospects in the legal field. My own
brother graduated from a top engineering program and found it difficult to
get his foot in the door with the companies he wanted. So, let's clear up
that blindness is irrelevant. No, I do not deny that we face additional
challenges as blind individuals, but to say that the challenges are so
insurmountable as to keep us out of the job market denies the achievements
many of us have worked hard to earn.

I think a bigger constraint is a sense of entitlement. We graduate with
honors, volunteered at X, Y and Z, donate a kidney, and somehow we're
supposed to have opportunities fall onto our laps. It doesn't work that way.
I've put in bids for jobs I knew I was over qualified to tackle, and the
client chose to go with a less qualified competitor. That's life. It's
harsh, but I would hate for anyone to leave college with a skewed perception
that the need to stay as competitive as possible stops at the graduation
ceremony.

And why do the other reasons for rejection have to be based on
discrimination at all?

Tyler,

Let's get the JAWS license information straight. You're not limited to two
computers. You actually get five keys and can refresh the count upon
request. That doesn't mean you go willy-nilly installing the software on
friends' computers, but I have called tech support many times and referenced
work versus home computers and was never yelled at for doing so. After all,
they can't really expect you will have several computers lying around the
house. Further, while it is true that companies can hesitate to
automatically accept screen reading technology in their networks, it is not
true that the software is outright rejected. You may not be able to bring
your laptop to work, but you can use one of their terminals after the
software has been vetted. If the company refuses to hire you on the grounds
of software they do not want in their system, then you're laying the
groundwork for a discrimination complaint.

Ashley,

You know I have a world of respect for you for hunting down those volunteer
opportunities. The unfortunate aspect of volunteer work is that you are more
at a disadvantage as to what a company can and cannot allow. If you were an
employee, there would be an obligation to vet the software for their system.
As a volunteer they enjoy the privilege to accept and deny at will.

And, come on now. Conservatives do not believe people should be left on
their own to pull themselves up by their boot straps. Speaking for myself, I
just don't like to see anyone rely on someone else to provide the straps
when they are more than capable of manufacturing their own. The irony in the
liberal versus conservative debate in blindness is that the organization we
all more or less belong to is pretty garsh darn conservative in its views of
how blindness should be perceived...

Joe