[nabs-l] driver's license requirements for jobs

Dan Burke dburke at cocenter.org
Wed Oct 2 15:42:11 UTC 2013

This thread started out talking about internships.  The question of driving and reasonable accommodations on an internship brings up interesting questions of responsibility.

Bobbi, you should of course apply, whether for a job or for an internship.  If an internship, one of the learning possibilities is figuring out how to travel successfully on short notice.

If an internship is arranged through your college, then it is actually the school's responsibility to provide you with the reasonable accommodation.  Of course, the internship site must avoid discrimination based on your blindness, but ultimately the college is the place that gets the hit of paying for drivers, cabs or ensuring that internship site's computers are accessible with assistive technology, etc.  This is important because the ADA standard regarding what is reasonable to pay is much different for a college (especially a state-funded college( than if it is a small company or nonprofit.  The purpose of an internship is to gain experience and prove that you can do the job ultimately.  You should definitely press for the maximum opportunity and make the most of it!

There are a lot of jobs that employers believe require a driver's license but in fact only require the ability to get from one point to the other in a reasonable amount of time.  I suspect this is true because people can't imagine going anywhere without a car.  That's why we have traffic jams.

Dan

Dan Burke
Academic and Youth Services
Colorado Center for the Blind
Take charge with confidence and self-reliance

www.cocenter.org
facebook.com/coloradocenterfortheblind
@CoCenter4Blind
www.youtube.com/user/cocenterorg