[nabs-l] speech-language pathology or special ed

Anna Givens annajee82 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 01:04:35 UTC 2013

Kelsey,
I think Arielle spoke very well to your question.  And I recommend that you take her suggestions.
Also I think job shadowing may be very useful to you.  I don't know what all you have done so far, and not sure if you have chosen or completed your Bachelor's yet.  But I can say that there are so many blind people doing things they have been told they cannot do.  I would try to find a blind person working in speech pathology.  Calling the national office may be of value in finding someone who knows about this, if you can't find anything locally or on the professional email lists.
I would work on that, and in the meantime see if you can shadow a speech pathologist a few times, blind or sighted.  It is good to see exactly what their day to day is like and be making a professional connection at the same time.  Also check out American Foundation for the Blind and American Council of the Blind.  One or both of them have various resources and mentors in different fields.  See if you can find someone there.  Keep looking for resources and you will find them.
If you really want to do speech language pathology, you should definitely pursue it.  If you want to do special education or braille teacher then you should do that.  But if special ed is a back up plan, something you enjoy but not what you choose first, it is better to go with first choice.
I have seen people choose careers that are "easier" for them, being blind, and while they do excellent work, they enjoy what they do, and they're work is needed, they aren't actually doing near as good of a job as they would be if they stuck stubbornly with their passion, their first choice career.
If we all took the road that was easier, we would not have accomplished nearly as much as we have.

Anna E Givens