[nabs-l] Finding seats VI that does not use cane or dog

Jamie P. blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 22:44:12 UTC 2013

I didn't use a white cane for years growing up, and didn't start until I
was almost out of high school. Now, in college, there are rare occasions
when I go without my cane and know what you mean by having to walk up and
down the rows of tables to find an empty seat. There are a few things that
I do, whether I have my cane or not, that have worked for me.

1. Walk up and down the rows. I used to worry that people were staring at
me and thought I looked stupid, or creepy, too, but have learned that most
often, no one notices. I've even known sightlings who do the same thing
when they're looking for seats in a crowded place.

2. Just walk past the end of each row. Stop and ask someone seated at the
end "Excuse me, are there any empty seats in this row?" A simple yes or no
question is easier for a lot of people than finding a seat for you. If they
say yes, walk down the row until you find it. If they say no, try another
row.

3. If you need to ask someone to just find you a seat, say something like
"Excuse me, can you please help me find an empty seat? I can't see well and
don't want to distract people." At that point, they shouldn't have any
questions for you.

Best,

Jamie