[nabs-l] The Subminimum Wage Issue

Michael Forzano michaeldforzano at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 04:51:12 UTC 2014

Hi Arielle,

At any job, whether you have a disability or not, your wages depend on
your performance. Of course, if you're earning minimum wage, and
aren't subject to the subminimum wage exception, you get fired if you
underperform for a long enough time. So no, employees being paid
subminimum wage are not the only ones being judged based on their
performance.

I do agree you have a point about parents'/guardians discouraging
people from doing what they might be capable of, making them think
subminimum wage jobs are their only option when that might not be the
case. But that problem stretches way beyond minimum wage. I think it
is the reason many blind people don't apply for jobs at all. The NFB
should focus on trying to solve that problem as a whole, rather than
fixating on this issue that affects only a tiny percentage of people.

I'd be interested to hear about the Harvard law student who was once
paid subminimum wage. I can't help wondering why he chose to stay at
that job, since he clearly knows what he is capable of if he is at
Harvard.

Overall, my point is that the subminimum wage program is designed for
people who actually can't perform a minimum wage job. Apparently some
high-functioning blind people ended up in these jobs, whether it was
because they were discouraged by their parents or some other reason.
That just means they were incorrectly put into the program, not that
the program doesn't serve a purpose. Again, it might be the only
option for severely disabled people other than sitting at home for the
rest of their lives.

Mike