[nabs-l] Training centers

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 14:58:39 UTC 2014

Dear RJ,

I of course agree with you that what matters is not whether you
attended a training center or not but whether you can do the job
you're being hired to do, or more generally function in life.  I
haven't attended a training center, so I can't speak to what they
do or do not do.  I would like to point out, however, that it is
not really their job nor is it feasible to teach "proper social
skills" in four months while also teaching independent living
skills, orientation and mobility, etc.  I'm sure you have talked
to people who went to one or another training center and have
poor social skills, but blind people in general often have poor
social skills (because of the way blind people tend to be
educated and treated differently from the time they are born
among other things).  Did you talk to these center graduates both
before and after they attended the centers?  That sort of
comparison would be necessary to know whether attending the
centers improved their social skills at all.  Even if these
people you speak of were as socially inept when they started
attending the centers as they were when they graduated, you still
can't make the leap to the claim that "you can attend a training
center, and still be as uneducated in blindness skills as before
you attended" unless they also didn't improve their mobility
skills, daily living skills, etc.

Best,
Karl