[nabs-l] Assistive Technology

Gerardo Corripio gera1027 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 21:29:16 UTC 2014

  I've been using an Apex for a week after having used only a Jaws
laptop for almost 8 years; I've always yearned for the advantages that
blindness notetakers offer such as, on the fly, being able to resume
where you left off, rapidly go to other apps like Address Book, Internet
etc., with a single keystroke, wiht a single command (or mostly two) be
able to select from words to paragraphs and delete or do whatever you
want with them, and yes you can also do these tasks with an I-Device,
but OK let me try and explain The thing of using a blindness notetaker,
is that you don't have to worry if so and so app is accessible like with
the IDevices; because it's designed specifically for us in mind. thus
how I see it, is the Notetakers are a complement to mainstream devices.
It's important for notetakers to be able to (like I just did) be able to
transfer a file one worked on, via USB, from the notetaker to the PC;
it's also important for NOtetakers to interface with mainstream devices
like the IPhone, thus having both of two worlds.
This brings me to a point i've been pondering: how Notetakers are way
expensive! thus many blind average people who are on low-incomes, can't
afford. So I've been thinking of ways to maybe the notetakers companies
to make it possible for the average blind person to get them? How? Maybe
Humanware and Himgs, should allow credit card companies to use the
scheme like it's used here in Mexico (I don't know if in the US it's
also used) where some stores let you buy, and pay monthly without
charging interest rate? I think GwMicro and Serotech have this kind of
scheme?
I feel that if the notetakers could be bought in a way for the average
blind person to afford them, they could have both of both worlds? What
do you guys think of my viewpoint? Hopefully this may help to enrich
this very interesting thread!