[nabs-l] NABS List Manners

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 00:55:27 UTC 2014

Good evening all,
I hope everyone's weekend was very enjoyable.
I am writing because I am deeply concerned about the manners, or lack
thereof, which are more and more frequently being displayed on the
list serv. I'll quickly remind you that the list is supposed to be a
resource for blind students, of all ages, young professionals, parents
and teachers. The list is "public" and "archivable", which means that
anything we write on here is easily brought up when someone, anyone,
conducts a Google search.
When someone inquires about software, or help with anything, which
relates to blindness, or has a question and asks that you contact them
off line, it does not mean that you can be disrespectful to that
person. The list is NOT here for insults to be thrown back and forth,
for inappropriate comments, or for general disrespect towards others.
So, here is my question, how can we improve communication among list
members? Does this list still have value, and if so what are the
values and how to we maintain them? Let's have a discussion about
issues and solutions. I'm probably opening a can of worms, but I'm
truly concerned about the tone of the messages on here, and the
frequency with which they have been occurring. Please, be polite and
respectful when responding to this message, and if you have strong
feelings you do not wish to make public, simply click on my email
address: trillian551 at gmail.com and reply to me directly.

Thank you,
Sincerely,
Your list moderator,

--
Mary Fernandez
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will