[nabs-l] Preparing for The Nfb Training Centers

Antonio Guimaraes freethaught at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 16:09:37 UTC 2014

Sofia and all,

A few points on the original post on how to prepare to attend a center.

Know what skills you need, list them, and devise your own path to getting them. It has been my experience that training centers, in my case the Colorado one, do not have a set curriculum.

This is good for those who know exactly what they need out of a program.

Be determined to learn and practice the skills you learn. There are so many distractions that one can get off track from her learning objectives.

Demand top notch service. Ask much of yourself, and more of the people who teach at the center. Workig at a center, including an NFB one, does not guarantee the instructor is on top of things, has excellent skills, or knows it all.

You are the one responsible for getting your training. The center may have its own ways of teaching. Attend the center if you know the style and philosophy are compatible with your own.

Stay positive, learn and teach others. You might find a place for helping out a braille instructor with her class, while taking hints from a classmate in a travel class. Then, you can both go to the apartments and cook a great meal together, and invite a friend over for braille reading practice.

In other words, make the best of it, and keep at it till you graduate.

Antonio