[nabs-l] NABS List Manners

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 04:10:07 UTC 2014

It would also be great if somehow, we could address the issue of
people taking advantage of the fact that other list members can't
necessarily be anonymous and hide their emails to avoid unwanted
attention off-list.  I know policing such matters is impractical, but
it is also kind of weird to have NABS members who I don't know
practically stalking me because they want me to follow them back on
Twitter, want to be a friend on facebook, want to be a connection or
in my circle on Linked In or Google Plus, etc, plus send random emails
to my address asking sometimes really odd questions.  I think people
would be less likely to jump the gun when inappropriate behavior
happens on list and more apt to handle it appropriately if things like
this didn't happen, as I know they happen to a fair number of people
on the list.  Would it be too much to put a guideline in which says
something about how permission should be gained before sending a
messages of a personal nature off list, or please don't friend someone
on other social media outlets unless there is a mutual desire to be
friends?  Or, perhaps in addition to internet etiquette guidelines,
there be some basic social guidelines in case some of this behavior is
due to a lack of social supports outside of the internet, and the
person for whatever reasons needs a bit of guidance in how to properly
correspond with others so as not to come off overbearing.

The bigger question is, how could this realistically be done without
severely limiting intellectual conversation.  Over the last few years
I've gotten some very nice emails from people who wanted to respond to
something I said privately, to give an honest opinion that they were
too shy to put on the list for the very reason that they thought they
would meet resistance or disapproval, or people who noticed things
like my major and were curious for information.  I wouldn't want to
stifle any of these things and have actually made some good friends
through some of these conversations which happened thanks to the NABS
list, but it is a little weird, annoying, and a bit creepy, when some
random guy won't stop sending me reminders to add him on different
social media outlets, especially when they're ones I don't check or
didn't really care to learn how to use after deciding I really didn't
need the account, and they won't get the hint that I'm either not
checking my account, am only still receiving their invitations because
I haven't figured out how to block them on a site I never use, or am
not interested in adding a stranger to see my personal information.  I
think that is a huge problem we have with the list, and especially
puts a lot of the girls on here into a tricky spot because since this
is all electronic, to engage by telling the person to leave you alone
gives them what they want.  I used the delete key a lot for dealing
with these kinds of messages, but found with some the emails just keep
coming even after 2 years of membership on the list.

--
Kaiti