[nabs-l] Regarding posting ot NABS List, Please Read

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 15:33:04 UTC 2014

Good morning all,
If you are a NABS List subscriber, I am expecting that you read this.
In the very recent past, we've had some online discussion on the
behavior taking place on the NABS list. Everyone is in agreement that
things must change, however, even as this dialogue has proceeded, we
have had a thread get completely out of control, and become harmful to
individuals. This will not be tolerated.
We will be revising the NABS list guidelines, in the meantime, there
are a few things you must keep in mind when posting.
1.	Use common sense. If you see that a thread is off topic, harmful,
insulting, or otherwise digresses from the purpose of the list, which
is to distribute information related to "blind students", then DO NOT
respond. It is very simple. Off topic, means no response. If you have
an issue with a thread, bring it to my attention immediately.
2.	Topics not related to blind students are not appropriate topics. It
doesn't matter if they are about self-promotion, movies, music, art,
the theatre, or any other topic in this vast world, it isn't related
to blindness, education and professionalism, it does not belong.
3.	If Mary Fernandez, David Andrews, Sean Whalen, Arielle Silverman or
any of the NABS board members asks that a thread stops. It must stop.
Immediately. Read your latest message first, there is no excuse for
responding to a thread that should have been stopped.
We are very lenient and opened to all kinds of topics on this list,
but these tangents simply cannot go on. If you have a problem with
that, quite frankly, you can go create your own list and discuss
topics as you wish. But not here.
Everyone, we must keep this environment safe and respectful, and we
are willing to take measures to do so. And if that means, that the
list must be closed because it has become too much of a problem, and
the negatives are outweighing the positives, then that's a possibility
we will have to consider. I ask that each of you be responsible, if
you are in doubt about something, you can email me about it, or simply
not post it. The flow of ideas and thoughts should be free, but that's
a privilege. Respect that privilege, and carefully think about what
you are putting out into the world.
The Internet gives a false sense of security, just because you are
typing something in the privacy of your room, home, etc. doesn't mean
that it isn't literally going out for the entire world to see. Think
about that. Is this something you want the entire planet, which has an
Internet connection to see?
If you have any questions, email me at trillian551 at gmail.com
Thank you

--
Mary Fernandez
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will