[nabs-l] getting employed

Antonio Guimaraes freethaught at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 01:02:00 UTC 2014

There are ways for blind people to take credit cards, like the Square app.

the problem is that in reality you must use the inaccessible registers of places like Starbucks.

I’d love to work at a Starbucks, but currently lack the food prep skills. I have thought to ask to shadow, then work at smaller coffee shops, and pick up those skills, then move on to Starbucks, if I felt brave enough to face some of their scheduling and low pay issues recently reported in the news.

It is not as easy to turn around and say blind people can work anywhere. Sure we can do most any job, but accessibility, and the real issues of discrimination can hold one back.

I’d love to find out if any of you who are not able to use a register have worked at Starbucks. How do I even know if the register is accessible unless I get a job there, get behind the counter, and try it.

See, they are not going to hire a possible law suit like a blind guy who will take them to task on being inaccessible.

I would hope our International Braille and Technology Center could partner and create solutions for this type of problem.

Coffee anyone?

Antonio