[nabs-l] Bt vs qt apex

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 15:09:21 UTC 2014

It depends on what you're used to typing on.  I have a QT because
when I first got a notetaker my parents thought it would be best
for me only to need to learn one keyboard instead of one for the
notetaker and one for the computer.  I can type at least as fast
on my QT as people can in Braille, but if your Braille typing
speed is much higher than your QT typing speed, you should go
with Braille--unless of course you want to train yourself to type
quickly on a qwerty keyboard, which will also come in handy using
a computer.  If you have a real need for producing hardcopy
Braille or Braille files a BT might be slightly easier, though
you can always create a braille file on your QT and imput Braille
with the home row.  If you care more about producing things for
sighted people or blind people using computers not note takers to
read, you're probably better off with the QT because you don't
have to worry about whether things are being correctly translated
from Braille to text, which sometimes introduces errors.  There
are issues with things like shortform words if you write in
Braille and translate to text, so for instance if you want to use
an abbreviation like AC for air conditioning it will be
translated from Braille to text as ACCORDING because the Braille
for the two is the same.