[nabs-l] Blindness and the Military

Ryan Silveira ryan.l.silveira at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 20:39:29 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I am curious to know the general opinion on the topic of blind people serving in the US military.  It has always been a dream of mine to serve, but unfortunately, given my blindness, this does not seem possible.  Or is it?  Does anyone know of congenitally blind soldiers?  Personally, I think blind people could serve the military well, especially in the inteligence and communications departments.  They could even opperate distance weaponry )e.g. droans), although that might be a bit more difficult.  What do you all think?  If it is actually against policy for blind people to serve in the armed forces, I think this would be a good cause for the NFB to take up.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ryan L. Silveira