[nabs-l] Fwd: research techniques and assistance

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 26 03:08:16 UTC 2014

Hi Katie,
Thanks for these tips. I will try out your tips for the web browsing.
For openbook, I could not follow those instructions. After bring up the open
dialogue box and moving the file type to pdf, I could not find the file when
I shift tabbed to my file list; I think the problem is the files are in the
documents folder, and that's not an option  in that dialogue box. Maybe if I
saved the pdf to desktop, it would show up in the dialogue box.
BTW, I have openbook 9.
Wow, I did not know you could save the converted  file to other file types;
well, I knew of word, but other than that, I did not know.

I've gotten better over the years at determining if an article is relevant.
Yes, as you all confirmed, reading abstracts is key. Introductions seem to
help if that's provided.

I know we don't have to read everything in the cited article.
The challenge then, is  what to read? I know it depends on our subject
matter, but still, its hard to narrow down which sections to read.
Generally, I find the discussion section and implications for future
research parts I do not need.
Those articles are very long; sometimes like 20 some pages. It gets too hard
to synthesize long articles, so sometimes I limit my search
to a certain page length.

Sometimes I need longer length  information, especially for reporting life
history or events. In this case, magazine articles or books or ebooks are
best.
This is challenging. I usually need a reader for this. How do we know if a
book is relevant? So far, we look at the front material including book
jacket and table of contents. But sometimes, the titles of chapters are so
vague, they are nearly useless.
Should I just be relying on the index more?

Abstracts are good. But for news articles and magazine articles they don't
have that.
I often have not used those since professors need scholarly peer reviewed
sources, but if not, these sources can be helpful or better than database
information.

I tend to read the beginning to see if it’s a relevant article. is that what
you all do?
Headings are helpful too,  but a reader needs to find those for me, so
again, that is when that is helpful.
Not all headings are marked so jaws sees them.

I never worked with readers till college, and still am perfecting the skill
of directing them to be my eyes.
It seems to me like over half the electronic  sources I need are
inaccessible or  semi inaccessible.
If anyone has used these sources successfully, how did it go?
When I tried, jaws did not read the page and in the gale reference thing I
could not enter in the search box.

Encyclopedia britanica
Credo reference
Gale biography in context

I'm impressed you all seem quite independent  with your research. I have
used some of the databases independently mentioned here since its
accessible; that is, once the librarian showed me which boxes to fill in.
I can usually get to those using keyboard commands.
But databases are only a small part of a library.

Another challenge is the accessibility of the website generally.
Since the library website is laid out in tabs, I cannot even get to all the
links I need. I expand the tab, then attempt to click on what I want. For
instance one link is facts, reference people; under that you can click on
things like britanica, gale biography, and oxford dictionary. Those links
are not opening even when I tried right clicking on them.
Oh, and I cannot get into films on demand either; sometimes, those
documentaries prove helpful.

Good points all. It confirms I probably am doing most things right but
research seems like a time consuming process. So anything to get better at
it is a good thing to know.

Ashley