[nabs-l] Fwd: research techniques and assistance

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:42:07 UTC 2014

Hi Ashley,

I would actually say that the discussion section of an APA
article is one of the most important parts.  It explains the
findings and tells you what the authors think they mean and also
usually gives hypotheses about what untested variables could be
responsible for the data.  I typically read the introduction
which explains what the authors are trying to do, the methods to
see if I think the research is even valid and accurate, skip the
actual data (it's usually presented in tables that don't convert
well from PDF, and I don't have enough knowledge of statistics to
check the tests the authors ran anyway), and then get the results
of the experiment from reading the discussion section.  Of course
humanities articles usually have to be read from beginning to end
because they consist of a sustained argument not discrete
sections.  Also, as has been mentioned you don't have to read
that much of the article depending on your purpose--for instance
if your writing a review of methodology you just have to look at
the methods section and maybe the introduction.  ANother tip for
determining if an article is relevant beyond reading the abstract
is to use word search to find where in the article what your
topic is shows up and check the context--I've avoided a bunch of
irrelevant articles by doing that when I saw that the authors are
using my keywords to talk about something other than what I'm
researching.  As for books, the same thing applies.  I read the
preface and introduction, and then if I don't want to read the
whole thing, I use word search to find relevant parts.  The index
can help to, but often something I want to find in a book isn't
in the index.  Magazine and newspaper articles are often in
certain databases, and a lot of major papers have online archives
often even in HTML and free (for example the New York Times).
Even subscription based archives are often accessible through
your library if the library has a subscription.  You can also
often get digital copies of articles your library doesn't give
you access to both in journals and popular media through
interlibrary lone, or so I've heard (I haven't actually done
this, but I know people who have).

best,
Karl