[nabs-l] highschool question

Joshua Hendrickson louvins at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 00:27:52 UTC 2014

Hello to Anna and all.  I agree with what has already been said.
Don't be afraid to joke around about your blindness if you are
comfortable doing that.  I always used to joke around in college
classes when I felt the time was right.  I got a lot of pretty good
laughs from students from time to time.  I've also had a class of
students become silent after I've made a joke and the teacher being
afraid of offending me which I thought was pretty funny, since I'd
been the one who made the joke in the first place.  Don't be afraid to
talk to people around you.  If someone asks you a question about
blindness answer the question if you can.  One time, I had a girl
after one of my college math classes aproach me, and ask me some
questions about what it was like being blind.  She wasn't even in my
usual math class.  I answered her questions, then she came up to me in
the studen center a few days later, and asked me a question, that I
had never thought about.  She asked me how do you talk to a blind
person?  I didn't laugh, although, I thought this was a different
question.  I told her, you talk to a blind person the same way you
talk to a sighted person.  Making friends can be very nice.  Good
luck.