[nabs-l] highschool question

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 14:26:58 UTC 2014

I think a lot of this has to do with personality type more than
blindness.  For extroverts it's easy to make friends because
they're good at starting and continuing conversations and they
know how to mix themselves into a group, but for introverts like
me it's a lot harder.  Most of my friends both blind and sighted
are introverted and nerdy like me, and most of them, including
the sighted ones, had an awful time in high school complete with
bullying.  My extroverted friends, though, both blind and sighted
mostly did really well and had friends and such.  That being
said, blindness does make it harder for sighted people to
approach us because many sighted people have a fear that they
don't know how to talk to a blind person (I'm not extrapolating
this, a few of my sighted friends have told me about having been
scared to start a conversation with me because they didn't know
how to talk to blind people).  I also definitely agree with Lil
about not really being into modern youth culture--so much of what
people talk and care about is shallow to the point that I just
don't care.  It's not that I couldn't talk to a biology or
nursing major about biology or nursing because I can and do; it's
that most students are just marking time and don't particularly
care about biology or nursing even though that's what they're
studying, and gossip, fashion, celebrities, internet memes,
reality tv, etc. just aren't things I can make myself be
interested in.  That being said, I have made friends in college
because there are other people I don't find shallow, and they
typically have the same problems fitting in and making friends as
I do.  In a lot of classes I'm not part of one of the cliques,
and people don't talk to me, but what I've realized is that I'm
never the only one.  It's harder for a blind person to find the
other people who are sitting not talking to anyone in the sea of
jabbering students, but they're there and typically at least as
lonely and socially awkward as I am, so once I can find them and
get a conversation going, we usually get along great.