[nabs-l] ACT stuff

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 01:43:17 UTC 2014

Hi Lillie,

You'll need to get accommodations for the ACT from the ACT's own
board.  Unfortunately, the process isn't as straightforward as we
would all like it to be, but I remember being more satisfied with my
ACT accommodations than I was with the ones I received from College
Board.  I'd recommend calling the ACT people to get further
clarification on how the test should be proctored; I remember their
customer service people being really helpful as well.

I also took my tests at my own high school, and my braillist proctored
all of them.  I believe the SAT was taken on Saturdays in a room we
just used ourselves, and we cut the test in half so it spanned 2
weekends.  When I took the ACT I stayed for two hours or so after
school, and I believe I did this 5 times for each section of the test
over the course of 2 weeks.  In both cases, my braillist bubbled in my
answers at the end and was in charge of mailing off the test at the
end of the testing period.   I avoided taking my tests in the summer,
but it's only for a few hours at a time and the school would have to
pay whoever proctors the test overtime anyway.  I remember my aid came
in with a book (or in some cases, files that she could transcribe on
the computer while I was working), and was still productive reading a
novel or working while I did my test.  It sounds like they're making a
big deal out of it.

I'd definitely suggest getting some sort of opinion on the subject
from the ACT people directly.

On 12/9/14, Lillie Pennington via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> I'll be taking the ACT in Febuary. I met with my guidance counselor in
> December and she told me to have my registration to her before Christmas
> break.
>

> When I was talking about taking the SAT in June and my aid was concerned
> about proctoring the test (because it was in the Summer), and I guess
> talked
> to my counselor who said that my school was not a test site.
>

> I am concerned because when my sister took the test, she was able to take
> it
> at my high school and have a proctor who was familiar with us and how to
> fill out the test, as well.
>

> There are a whole new set of guidance counselors at my school, so I am
> curious as to how to bring this up. Do I just send my counselor an email
> (because I have a question about registration) and ask how my accomidations
> arrangements will be made? Or should I do something different?
>

> Also, if I have college board approved accomidations, does that
> automatically grant me the ACT, as well? I know the ACT and SAT are managed
> by two different companies, and I just thought of this today.
>

> Thanks

Kaiti