[nabs-l] NFB and canes and travel

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 20 00:28:37 UTC 2014

Pat,
I've used both canes; some on my own and when I needed to to as sort of a
almost requirement at our state center; I say almost a requirement as its
not a policy but they prefer it.

You were taught right for your type of cane. In constant contact, the  index
finger is pointed down the flat side of the grip.
NFB canes are made of something different, fiber glass I think. They are
lighter, straight, and have a metal tip. Yes I did find it harder to use
constant contact with a metal tip.

The nfb canes are held with an open palm technique. As others said, the
advantage is the light weight which is great for long periods of travel. It
is also more sensative  in feedback than other canes. Also, if you tap the
cane from side to side, you will likely hear more echos from its tip. The
metal tip gives you more auditory feedback.

If you are happy with your cane, then it is fine, but if you find the weight
a problem, I suggest giving nfb canes a try; order one from the website.
Also, I have switched from the heavy aluminum canes I received as a kid in
school and have not gone back. Now I use a light weight graphite cane from
advantage canes.

Ashley