[nabs-l] The Importance Of Independent Travel

Shikha desai1shikha at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:13:46 UTC 2014

Hi
My name is shikha and i travel independently with my long white cane.
Before i went to training at Louisiana center for the blind i did not use a cane because i did not want to except my blindness.
I have retinitis pigmentosa and did not leave the house at night.
My advice is to travel with sleep shades and always challenge your self.
It is ok to cry because it is natural  to get upset. Just keep trying every day because you are eventually going to become confident and independent.  At first it is hard to get used to them but eventually you will love them if you keep telling your self that i love being blind then every day you will have the motivation to travel with sleep shades.  Also go to the NFB website and order a free white cane.   I am ready for becoming completely blind but i am happy that i have vision before the sun goes down and i do not mind if my vision keeps on deteriorating.

Shikha.