[nabs-l] effective comunication with rehab

RJ Sandefur joltingjacksandefur at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 21:08:17 UTC 2014

In our News letter for the Florida division of blind services, I did an article intitled, "effective comunication with your DBS councilor. It was in the March issue.
So often, I feel that rehabilitation professionals really do not get the thanks that they deserve. If you want to have a positive expierence with the rehabilitation agency in your state, then follow these tips.
1 Have a goal. What I mean is a vocational goal.
2 inform your councilor of what your needs are in a clear and professional manner. Do not talk down nor be condisending to your councilor. If requesting purchose of equipment, be ready to justify it. In other words, don't just say, "I'd like a note taker." Be ready to justify what the note taker will be used for, and why you need a note taker verses a computer for school. I myself made this mistake. I asked my councilor for a Mac computer, and I was unable to justify my need for one.
Lastly, If you and your councilor have a disagreement, try to work out the disagreement, and if you're unable to do so, then have a third party involved. The client assistance program will help you resolve issues if need be. Just my thoughts. RJ Sandefur T.H.D (Doctor of theology) Andersonville theological seminary, 2013