[nabs-l] Thinking About Writing For The Student Slate

Lillie Pennington lilliepennington at fuse.net
Fri Mar 14 01:14:37 UTC 2014

Hi Roanna,

I could be wrong here, but I am not sure that this is the best topic for the
Student Slate. A large percentile of the readers are college students or are
out of high school so I am not sure how much interest your article would
have. Perhaps this would be better placed in the Parents Future Reflections
Magazine?
If you were to do this I would recommend placing statistics, case
studies/examples, and other facts in this article so that it has more weight
and credibility to it, because you will most likely generate a wider reading
base this way.

What I have noticed about the Student Slate is that it is mainly empowering
articles about what students or young blind adults are doing. You may want
to view the other articles from past issues to see what sorts of issues are
discussed. One article that has always stood out to me was an article on how
a blind person could use a grill with mostly common household tools.
Have you done something awesome that you think it would help the blind
public to know about? Are you a member of an NFB devision and would like to
premote it? Would you like to write about the NFB has changed you? Are you
doing an activity in your school or in the community that you think is kind
of unusual and could provide inspiration to other blind people?

Good Luck