[nabs-l] college ebooks question

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 23 23:14:54 UTC 2014

hello John,

I am not sure why the college would deny you in-class assistance without
providing copies of book receipts since these two things are not related.
Perhaps you simply contacted them too late into the semester, and you cannot
receive in-class assistance for your specific classes due to scheduling
conflicts. The only times I have found in-class assistance necessary is when
doing peer review for writing classes along with math and science classes.
Otherwise, I do not see why this would be necessary for straight lecture
classes.

As for your textbooks, I am not quite sure why you are expecting to receive
them for free. The college does not tare off the binding, so you can re-sell
your books at the end of the semester. If you do not wish to purchase your
books, you could either search for the books on Bookshare, or check them out
in the library and scan the books yourself. I am not quite sure why you are
expecting something for free simply because you happen to be glind.

Finally, I do not see any reason why you cannot take your own notes in class
regardless of what kind of technology you may or may not have access to at
your fingertips. I have been using a slate and stylus to take class notes
for quite some time now, and it has worked well enough for me despite my
poor Braille skills. If you learned Braille early on in life, then I do not
see why this could not be an option for you as well. Sometimes we have to
make due with the tools we have on hand rather than what we think would be
the most ideal tool for the job.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth