[nabs-l] rehab centers

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 12 22:05:35 UTC 2014

Hi Kayla,

I cannot speak for Illinois.
Most here went to nfb centers and those who talk had good experiences,,
after all its an NFB list.
I'd recommend asking your rehab counselor for your state center's
information. Give them a call and do your research.
Googling should also tell you which state centers you have and any nonprofit
centers too.

Someone said carroll center in Newton MA is paternalistic. Although I'm not
a believer in all training strategies of NFB centers, I'm certainly no fan
of carroll center's rules either. I was there for a youth program called
youth in transition. It was my summer before being a senior in high school.
I had fun on the activities I picked and being with other low vision and
blind high school students was fun.
But, yes, there's too much restrictions. You had to get permission to go off
campus and despite having safe cane skills and complements from my O and M
instructor, they did not allow me off campus. We agreed I needed practice
outdoor travel like street crossings, but I could have been safe on campus
via taking a cab and not having to cross major streets.
Another thing I did not like was having to be in your room at a certain time
for quiet hours.

If you need or want an out of state center, check out the nfb centers. Also,
check out Hatlen center in CA. its all independent living based and you even
can go to work part time after you master some of your skills.
Their website is www.hcblind.org.

Good luck with your decision.

Ashley