[nabs-l] Unrealistic expectations

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 18:42:33 UTC 2014

Hi,

I used the "Sensational Blackboard" by Anne Cunningham for drawing
quick diagrams in a statistics class.  My professor could quickly draw
graphs and charts which he drew on chalk on the board, so that I could
see what other people were seeing from my desk.  I would highly
recommend using this, a draftsman, or some other tactile drawing kit
to make your drawings.  You can use them yourself, and they're great
for instructors as well.  I know my statistics instructor appreciated
having it about as much as I did.

The cool thing about the Blackboard is that it's low-cost, and you use
a standard pen and printer paper to make the drawings.  If you use a
pen to draw, you'll be able to feel the raised lines created by the
blackboard, but will also have a traditional drawing to show a sighted
student in the classroom.

I hope this tool will be helpful.  I'd also do what others have
suggested like meeting with the department chair and disability
services.

On 11/15/14, Roanna Bacchus via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi Alyssa thanks for bringing up this topic.  Under the Ada your
> instructors are required to proupide reasonable accmoodations to
> you.  As someone has already suggested you can use wiki sticks to
> create your diagrams.

Kaiti