[nabs-l] Crowd funding sites

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 04:33:12 UTC 2014

Can you send me what you wrote??

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Kaiti Shelton
via nabs-l
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:32 PM
To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
Subject: [nabs-l] Crowd funding sites

Hi all,

Has anyone here ever used crowd funding sites to gain funds for educational
endeavors?  If so, how successful were you in this?  Did you mention your
blindness on the site, or avoid it when describing why you would benefit
from receiving these funds?

I am trying to use youcaring.com to raise funds for a study abroad trip this
summer.  I did mention my blindness, however I only did as a means of
sharing my story and how it really goes full-circle.  I was also very
careful to portray blindness and disability in general in a positive way.
At least in my mind, it is important for people to know that I am blind,
because it is a huge part of why I want to work with kids who have
disabilities in the future.  I especiallywant to do this in music therapy,
because I had a positive experience with a music therapist who was blind.
She has acted as a role model for my parents and I since I was really
little, and now is advising my professors and I on best practices for
accommodating in my program.

If anyone has used these sites successfully before, I'd appreciate feedback
on my site.  Any suggestions I could use to potentially make it better would
be appreciated.  The link is:

http://www.youcaring.com/other/music-therapy-student-to-enrich-jamaican-live
s-this-summer/264447

Thanks,