[nabs-l] Working from home

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 19 01:48:52 UTC 2014

Hi Gloria and all,

This is an interesting topic and I'd like to add my incite here.

Both my parents work from home and have been for a long time.  My
dad works with computers and my mom is actually a Braille
transcriber, which Jorge talked about.  I think that my parents
have very good experiences working from home, as the  work that
they do isn't difficult, and plus as a bonus, they get to spend
more time with the family.
Also, my mom has another job working from home.  She is
originally from France, and she also works as a translator
(though this is not her main job) and works with texts between
French and English.

So Gloria, yes, I would strongly reccomend working from home.
I'm sure you'll get a good experience, because you work in your
field of interest (my dad's being computers, and my mom's of
course being Braille, which she had since I was born) and you get
to spend more time with your family.
There is a wide variety of jobs from home that are out there.  If
you speak another language other than English and if you are
interested in languages, you can work as an interpreter (on the
phone) or a translator (working with written text) between the
languages that you know.
You can also work as a Braille transcriber or proofreader.  Note
on that one though, Jorge is right; most transcribers work from
print to Braille, which my mom does.  Not sure how you could
handle that as a blind person.  You'll probably have to inquire
that you are blind yourself when you apply for job (if you want
to do it, of course).

Hope this helps, and good luck with finding a job from home!

Thanks,

Sami.