[nabs-l] Studying abroad: tips and tricks.

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 14:58:33 UTC 2014

This is really helpful.  I'm in a major where it is difficult to study
abroad other than going on this trip with the Jamaica Field SErvice
Project because we have practicum courses we need to complete at our
university, but it is making me feel better knowing that several other
people have studied abroad, and should I decide to do it in Grad
school I'll be more prepared.

On 10/2/14, Sofia Gallo via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Thanks so much Arielle! My school is also willing to help with the
> orientation aspect which makes things a lot better.
>
> On 10/2/14, Arielle Silverman <arielle71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Sofia,
>> I studied in Australia and worked with the disability office there to
>> get course readers in electronic format. I requested this about two
>> months ahead of time. It sounds like your school might be willing to
>> help with this.
>> I also had four O&M lessons to learn the campus. The study-abroad
>> director in Melbourne organized this. For a six-week trip it may not
>> be necessary and I know O&M is not available in all countries. You
>> could also ask someone from the host country to orient you; it really
>> doesn't have to be an O&M professional. Most of the neighborhood stuff
>> I learned on my own or from my dorm-mates. By the end of my stay Iwas
>> riding trains independently all over the city.
>> Arielle
>>
>> On 10/2/14, Sofia Gallo via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>> Sorry for the lack of info ... the programs are in UK and Germany. The
>>> problem with studying abroad is that you have to apply now, but you
>>> don't know where you will actually go until around March and make a
>>> decision in April to leave in June...but if you wait to plan
>>> everything until April there won't be enough time ... hence the
>>> ambiguity about where I'm actually going.
>>>
>>> I guess my question is more general: has anyone studied abroad
>>> somewhere? What was it like and what accommodations did you get? these
>>> are general questions that apply to almost any country you go to :)
>>>
>>> Sofia

>>> nabs-l:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/arielle71%40gmail.com

Kaiti