[nabs-l] Blindness and body contact

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 13:26:57 UTC 2014

Keep in mind, that humans are naturally a little more tactual and contact
oriented than most people want to admit.  I've experienced this as well, but
not usually to the degree that a woman would.  I usually just remove the
offender's hand with some subtle martial art technique which has the
advantage of being both firm and not harmful; not trying to scare, offend,
or hurt anyone.  A subtle movement of the body or wrist will break their
grip punctuated with an I'm good or some such like that. I'm okay with
appropriate touch, but not touch which invades, impedes, or in some way is
offensive.  My suggestion is to learn to be okay with normal and appropriate
touch; that is different for everyone.  If you don't like to be touched at
all, you will offend some well-meaning people; don't do this.  For the
ladies, especially for those who are small or petite, you can also get
treated like a child because you are small.  I heard of women who were very
small being picked up and moved out of the way, and these women were
sighted.  A self-defense art in this case is invaluable for sliding away
from someone more easily and for holding your ground.