[nabs-l] No Braille? No Literacy!

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 12:47:10 UTC 2015

On SeroTalk 227 we featured an article contemplating whether or not Braille
was headed for obsolescence. The idea is not a new one. Everyone can agree
technology is reshaping the way a blind person consumes information, but the
debate prompts a larger question about whether or not there is a link
between Braille and literacy. This point has also made its way around the
block but is still igniting heated responses.

The question could boil down to this: If you are a blind individual unable
to read printed information, are you illiterate if you cannot read Braille?

In today's politically correct and overly polite society it's easy to
express hesitant opinions that fear offending opposing viewpoints. These
opinions are sadly watered down and do nothing to stretch our intelligence.
I have no interest in offending anyone, but as someone who has a high regard
for your intellect, and as someone who enjoys spirited debate, I trust you
will take me to task, and back up your arguments, if you disagree with my
opinion that you would indeed be illiterate.

Read more, and leave your own comments at:

http://serotalk.com/2015/04/22/no-braille-no-literacy/comment-page-1/#commen
t-716488

--
Musings of a Work in Progress: