[nabs-l] is anyone on here studying to become a family therapist?

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 04:39:15 UTC 2015

Hi, Vejas,

The human services division list may have some family therapists on
it.  In any case there are plenty of psychologists and socialworkers
on the list who can probably be helpful, too.

As for your fears about the job being emotionally taxing, I'm studying
to become a music therapist (a little different but along the same
lines).  One of the things my program at least teaches is the
importance of self-care.  Self-care can be anything that helps a
therapist or therapist in-training to remain grounded so they don't
become too caught up in their work.  Some common things people do for
self-care are reading, going for walks, going to the gym or working
out, hanging out with friends on a regular basis to release stress,
etc.  I can't speak for family therapy training programs as I have
never been in one, but self-care is a concept used by therapists in
all areas-not just music therapy.  You'll also most likely have a
supervisor when you start doing clinical work or observations who can
help you figure out what self-care techniques work best for you.

I hope I was able to help at least in that regard.  Good luck.

Kaiti