[nabs-l] Recording College Classes with a BrailleNote Apex

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 15:03:15 UTC 2015

All this is true, but there are ways of dealing with some of
these problems.  As far as space is concerned, you can change the
settings for the level of quality of recording that your apex
makes (see the manual for how to do this).  For something like a
class, lower quality works fine and reduces the size of the files
you're recording.  I would also suggest recording to an SD card
or a USB thumbdrive rather than to the internal memory, which is
somewhat limited.  If the sound of typing really bothers you, you
could always invest in an external microphone, though I've always
managed without.  (I have a qt though, which is quieter than the
bt).  All that being said, you probably are better off with a
dedicated recording device like the Victor Stream from HumanWare
or the Booksense from Himes.  I would also suggest that you think
about whether you really need to record classes.  I recorded my
first three years of college, but then I lost my recorder and
realized that I didn't need it since I almost never listened to
any of the recordings.  If you can take good notes, reviewing
them is much more efficient than listening to the entire lecture
over again.  Some people learn better by listening though or
aren't very good note takers, so experiment to see what works for
you.

HTH,
Karl