[nabs-l] library databases

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 5 23:28:51 UTC 2015

Hi all,

So, I am taking electives and I will have to research sometime.
Also, some topics interest me so I may research to add to my base of knowledge.

Is proquest research library a source for newspapers and magazines? Do they have any business sources like Forbes magazine?
I heard that is accessible so this should not be too problematic.

However, there are some significant accessibility issues in my experience. When I asked about research in the past, a few of you said you used Psychinfo and oxford databases. I have not had issues with those.

But a group of databases from Ebsco have presented some challenges.
Has this been an issue for you? For instance using academic research complete and business source complete.
I think these ebsco databases are the most inaccessible.

Here are a few problems. I cannot change the combo box from the default term And to say Or. You need to do  this to conduct a good advanced search so the engine searches for terms x and y or z. Also, I have trouble finding the search button. Everytime I press the hot key B, it goes to different buttons, and finally jaws said “search search button” and I guessed this was the right button. It was the one; I had someone helping me at the library so I knew it was right as they could see the screen.
The only option to see the full text is pdf and I wish html was an option.
I use h for heading to find my search results and skim down the list of results by heading. Seeing the results is not too problematic but conducting a good search is as some features are not accessible.

I was wondering if Gale databases were accessible.
Are these usable?
  a.. Biography in context
  b.. US history in context
  c.. World History in context
If gale databases were semi accessible, what challenges did you have? Btw I use jaws.

Thanks.

Ashley