[nabs-l] Protests on College Campuses

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 19:38:14 UTC 2015

Incredible.

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Justin
Salisbury via nabs-l
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:36 PM
To: 'nabs-l at nfbnet.org'
Subject: [nabs-l] Protests on College Campuses

Fellow Federationists:

I've been thinking about an idea for how NABS can contribute to the
legislative work of the National Federation of the Blind, and I have talked
with a few friends about it. Now, I want to ask what the NABS membership
thinks of it.

We could coordinate protests on college campuses and do it strategically to
raise awareness to our legislative causes. I bet there are a lot of college
students who would stand up and protest subminimum wages if they only knew
about it. We could do it with our other bills, too,

Another dimension we could add is If we coordinated them to be all on the
same day, or at least multiple ones on the same day. This could help us get
national media attention. For example: Today, students at Harvard, Yale,
Louisiana Tech, and four other universities protested the outdated practice
of paying wages like three cents per hour to workers with disabilities.

This would require heavy involvement of local students, but the returns
could be amazing.

What do people think of this idea?

Yours,

Justin

Justin Salisbury - Running Thunder Phoenix Graduate Student Professional
Development and Research Institute on Blindness Louisiana Tech University
Email: jms132 at latech.edu<mailto:jms132 at latech.edu>
Twitter: @SalisburyJustin

But, of course, we will not fail. We will continue to climb. Our heritage
demands it; our faith confirms it; our humanity requires it. Whatever the
sacrifice, we will make it. Whatever the price, we will pay it. Seen from
this perspective, the hostility and backlash (the challenges and
confrontations) are hardly worth noticing. They are only an irritant. My
brothers and my sisters, the future is ours. Come! Join me on the stairs,
and we will finish the journey.
-          Dr. Kenneth Jernigan