[nabs-l] Sociology stats class

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 03:46:14 UTC 2015

Hi Amanda. I've taken a lot of stats and tutored it, so if you have
conceptual questions, feel free to contact me off list. Your
accommodations will depend on your particular learning preferences. I
have never gotten much benefit from graphs, so I never had them
transcribed, but instead just focused on learning the mathematical
formulas. Statistics is actually a pretty simple concept overall. You
apply a formula to a set of data and then see if the result you get is
higher or lower than a particular "critical value". There are online
calculators you can use to find out what the critical value is. One
good, accessible site is at
www.graphpad.com/quickcalcs
Excel is also extremely helpful for doing calculations. Your class may
require the other students to use a program called SPSS. This program
is technically accessible with JAWS, but it isn't always reliable with
JAWS and it is expensive to put on a personal computer. Microsoft
Excel and GraphPad Quickcalcs can do almost everything that your
classmates will have to use SPSS for, so I would advise using one of
those programs instead. Best of luck and if you run into specific
issues feel free to email me: arielle71 at gmail.com
Best, Arielle