[nabs-l] inaccessibility in the class may end up costing me apassing grade!

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 24 00:20:49 UTC 2015

Abby,

I don't have much advice for inaccessible technology. If its possible to
work with another classmate, that is an option. Also, using a reader can do
the job too. I know most students cannot afford readers, I was lucky in that
area. But vr should pay if you cannot. And, there is always volunteer
readers if you trade something; like you buy them lunch for every time they
read or you could do something for them like tutor them in a subject in
exchange for reading.

As for your english class, yes, I'd push further. Go to the supervisor and
have a meeting. Remember to keep print  outs of your emails. I'm wondering
though that if final drafts were due, why didn't you say something sooner?
Why didn't you go to his office hours and go over papers? I know some
adjunct professors do not have office hours or will not make appointments
for those people who have conflicts with office hours. Maybe this professor
is one of them.

I've also struggled with getting access to comments in papers, so I
understand the frustration. I usually end up using a reader or seeing the
professor in office hours or even if its something small they wrote, I'd see
them a few minutes after class.

Someone on list said go to the dean. Actually, you need to go up the chain
of command. Going to the dean is not the best idea since the next in command
is usually not a dean. It varies from college to college but usually the
the supervisor can help you. Seems like you have a lot to do at the end of
the semester to play catch up.
If the supervisor is understanding, he will get the prof to comply and also
give you a due date for your missing work.

I hope things work out and sorry to learn of yet another inaccessible online
platform.

Ashley